Friends and neighbors from across Baldwin Borough and its surrounding municipalities descended on Churchview Avenue and the on Saturday for the 2012 version of Baldwin Community Day.
The daylong event—booths opened at 7 a.m., and fireworks went off at around 10 p.m.—featured the annual Baldwin Mile race, community parade down Churchview, free swimming at the , food, amusement rides and a horde of other activities and performances to allow a large part of Pittsburgh's South Hills area to display some civic pride.
Enjoy the photos and video found above, and click on "Upload Photos and Videos" to add your own!
What the Community Day Schedule Looked Like:
- 7 A.M. — Vendor booths opened. Vendors included Baldwin-Whitehall Patch (information), Jefferson Memorial Cemetery and Funeral Home (information), Greater Baldwin Whitehall Athletic Association (sports drinks, water, walking tacos, nachos and cheese, hot dogs), (canned pop), (duck pond game, ring toss game), Nix Vogel American Legion Ladies Auxiliary (meatball sandwich, hot sausage sandwich), (information), Baldwin Band Patrons (funnel cakes and fried Oreos), (ham barbecue sandwiches, potato chips), Brentwood-Baldwin-Whitehall Chamber of Commerce (information), Baldwin Borough Democratic Committee (lollipop game, glow toys, string game), (goldfish game), Spencer United Methodist Church (coffee, kielbasa, sauerkraut, corn), (brooms, garbage bags), Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC (bike helmet safety information), (information), (information, performance), (information), children's author Kim Smith, (raffle tickets), Carrick Community Boxing Academy (barbecue chicken, barbecue ribs, peanuts), Jack's Ice Cream (ice cream cones, cotton candy) and Exalt Church (information).
- 9 A.M. — Baldwin Mile (Race started at the municipal building, headed to Glass Run Road and finished at the municipal building. Registration was at the municipal building on the day of the race or ahead of time at 's public schools. The race, only for children in grades K-8, was coordinated by .)
- 11 A.M. — Community Parade started at the intersection of Churchview Avenue and Willett Road, headed east for 1 mile and finished at the borough municipal complex on Churchview.
- NOON — Community Day opening ceremonies at municipal complex
- 12:30-1:30 P.M. — Keystone K-9ers performance in municipal parking lot
- 1-8 P.M. — Free use of municipal swimming pool (on the municipal complex grounds), sponsored by Lennon, Smith, Souleret Engineering, Inc.
- 1:30-3 P.M. — performance in municipal auditorium (inside of the municipal building)
- 3-5 P.M. — Baldwin Borough firefighters vs. and in softball game on the municipal complex grounds (Romas Field)
- 6-10 P.M. — Music by Rockin' Bob's Disc Jockeys
- 10 P.M. — Fireworks display by Pyrotecnico
Sign up for the daily Baldwin-Whitehall newsletter.