A cafeteria worker at in went home on Tuesday, Nov. 29, after it was discovered that that worker was suffering from a nail infection known as paronychia.
UPDATE: Superintendent Dr. Lawrence C. Korchnak reported that the worker was "sent home," but William D. McKain, the district's assistant to the superintendent for finance and operations, has since clarified that "the worker went home voluntarily."
Paronychia causes swelling, redness and pain when bacteria enters the area between a finger or toe's skin and that finger or toe's nail.
Upon discovering the infection, "We (district officials) subsequently disinfected everything as a standard precaution with the students' health a priority," Korchnak said.
No other cases of infection related to the incident have been reported.