(Scroll through the slideshow above to see images from the first half of Election Day, and watch for Part 2 later.)
Baldwin-Whitehall Patch Editor Bob Healy has visited eight of the Baldwin-Whitehall area's 15 polling places so far on Tuesday, and every poll worker has told him essentially the same thing: It's been better than the May 17 primaries, but the turnout still leaves much to be desired.
Five people will earn four-year seats on the Baldwin-Whitehall School Board on Tuesday, and one other person will earn a two-year school board seat. Yet, despite sunny weather, area poll workers are reporting a low voter turnout so far.
Also to be decided in Baldwin-Whitehall on Tuesday are three four-year terms on the Baldwin Borough Council, Whitehall Borough Council and Baldwin Township Board of Commissioners, not to mention a multitude of county and state positions.
While no poll workers expressed happiness over the turnout early on Tuesday, some polls were doing better than others.
A look at the numbers so far at eight B-W polling stops:
- St. Gabriel of the Sorrowful Virgin Parish, 5200 Greenridge Drive: "36 people" as of 9:40 a.m.
- Baldwin Community United Methodist Church, 5001 Baptist Road: "86 voters" as of 9:55 a.m.
- Canongate Apartments Complex, 200 White Hampton Lane: "33 people" as of 10:15 a.m.
- Baldwin Township Municipal Building, 10 Community Park Drive: "102 out of 1,494" as of 10:37 a.m.
- Lafferty Center, 330 Joseph St.: "89 in one district, 57 in the other" as of 10:58 a.m.
- W.R. Paynter Elementary School, 3454 Pleasantvue Drive: "187 out of 1,446" as of 12:55 p.m.
- Baldwin Borough Municipal Complex, 3344 Churchview Ave.: "208 out of 1,800" as of 1:05 p.m.
- Saint Albert the Great Catholic Parish, 3171 Churchview Ave.: "177 out of 1,345" as of 1:15 p.m.
Some of the more interesting things heard around the polls today:
- "It's been crappy."
- "It's been better than expected."
- "It's been worse than expected."
- "We have 660 voters listed, but about 60 of them are probably dead."
- "It should get better after work lets out. It better."
- "The weather is perfect."
Still left to be visited by Healy this afternoon are (in order):
- Wallace Building, 41 Macek Drive
- Option Independent Fire Company, 825 Streets Run Road
- Baldwin High School (Auditorium Hallway), 4653 Clairton Blvd.
- Borough of Whitehall Municipal Complex, 100 Borough Park Drive
- Leland Park Community House, 374 Knoedler Road
- Whitehall Elementary School, 4900 Curry Road
- McAnnulty Elementary School, 5151 McAnulty Road
Stay tuned, and check back with the B-W Patch for results. Polls are open until 8 p.m.