Patch Picks: Tips for a Safe Independence Day
The B-W Patch gives you another best-of list in a weekly feature.
The Baldwin-Whitehall Patch presents its weekly Patch Picks feature, highlighting editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off and more.
Independence Day is fast approaching (Monday), so here are five tips to enjoy a safe celebration that day, courtesy of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities, especially when young children play with sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees—hot enough to melt some metals.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishaps.
- Light fireworks one at a time and then move back quickly.
- Never try to relight or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
Enjoy the day, and check back each week for more Patch Picks!