The series will highlight the Mylan Classic's seven-day schedule of events which begin on Monday, Aug. 27. As a community event, the Mylan Classic offers both championship golf and entertainment for the whole family.
Weekly tournament tickets for the Mylan Classic are priced at $25 each and include admission for the tournament itself as well as the concerts, clinics, evening entertainment and special events during tournament week.
Tickets are being sold through a unique and innovative initiative known as the ANSYS TICKETS Fore CHARITY program. Through this program, more than 225 participating nonprofit organizations are selling tournament tickets and retaining 100 percent of the proceeds as well as a percentage of the bonus pool. To purchase tickets online while supporting your favorite charity, visit www.MylanClassic.com.
- Pittsburgh rock legend Joe Grushecky will take the stage at Southpointe Golf Club and kick-off the concert series for the 2012 Mylan Classic on Wednesday, Aug. 29, at the completion of play. Grueshecky's music has stood the test of time as he has continued to record and perform rock 'n' roll for 30 years. Along with writing songs for his own recordings, Grushecky has co-written songs with legendary rock 'n' roll icon Bruce Springsteen. The duo have written and recorded hits like "American Babylon" and "Another Thin Line."
- On Thursday, Aug. 30, Scott Blasey will perform at Southpointe Golf Club following tournament play. Blasey is the lead singer, songwriter and guitarist for Pittsburgh-based rock band The Clarks. In addition to his success with the band, Scott has found an audience for his solo work. He has released three solo albums and opened for rock icons Neil Young and The Beach Boys.
- The concert series will continue Friday, Aug. 31, beginning at 7 p.m. at The Meadows Racetrack & Casino. Sponsored by the Washington Tourism Promotion Agency, Due West will open for country music star Craig Morgan. The group has been featured on the Great American County Channel with its video "When the Smoke Clears."
- Craig Morgan has been a mainstay on the charts with an impressive body of work that includes 14 Top 10 hits, including fan favorites "Redneck Yacht Club," "Almost Home," "That's What I Love About Sunday" and "Tough." As a country star, Morgan reached what many consider the pinnacle of his profession when, in October 2008, he became a member of the Grand Ole Opry. Morgan is extremely proud of his nearly two decades of service to the U.S. military, including more than 10 years of active duty service in the Army's 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions, followed by another nine years in the Army Reserve—serving well into his music career. He was one of the first performers to go into Afghanistan, and in 2006, he received a USO Merit Award for his tireless support of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- The concert series returns back to Southpointe Golf Club on Saturday, Sept. 1, as Diamond Rio and Phil Vassar close out the tournament's concert series at the end of play on Saturday evening. Diamond Rio has sold more than 10 million albums, earning three platinum and five gold records and winning the Country Music Association's Vocal Group of the Year award four times, as well as netting two Academy of Country Music awards and 13 Grammy nominations. The group's members are longtime supporters of and national spokespersons for Big Brothers Big Sisters and have raised more than $1.5 million for that charity through annual events, including golf tournaments and Team Rio, a marathon and half-marathon group.
- Known as one of Nashville's top tunesmiths, Phil Vassar was racking up hits on the radio long before he even began his own recording career. "Little Red Rodeo" (by Collin Raye), "My Next Thirty Years" and "For a Little While" (both by Tim McGraw), "She's Right on the Money" (by Alan Jackson) and "I'm Alright" (by Jo Dee Messina) are just a few of the songs that Vassar has penned that other artists have recorded and taken to the top of the charts. New artist David Nail has a smash hit with Vassar's "The Sound of a Million Dreams" as Vassar continues to churn out incisive, soulful lyrics and infectious melodies that capture one's heart and soul in the unique and special way that only he can. He is known for up-tempo piano numbers that instantly get your foot tapping, like "Carlene" and "Six-Pack Summer," and heartstring-tugging devotionals like "That's When I Love You" and "Just Another Day in Paradise."
The Mylan Classic is the only event in Pennsylvania on the PGA's 27-event Nationwide Tour schedule in 2012. It will be held from Aug. 27 through Sept. 2 at Southpointe Golf Club in Canonsburg Borough.
Sponsored by Mylan, a global pharmaceutical company, the event will draw 156 Nationwide Tour professionals from as many as 20 countries who will vie for one of the 25 PGA Tour cards that will be awarded to the leading money winners at the end of the year.
This article originally appeared on the Canon-McMillan Patch.
Sign up for the daily Baldwin-Whitehall newsletter.