UPDATED: Harrison Cafeteria Worker Goes Home with Nail Infection
'We subsequently disinfected everything as a standard precaution with the students' health a priority.' - Superintendent Lawrence Korchnak
UPDATE: Baldwin-Whitehall School District Superintendent Dr. Lawrence C. Korchnak reported that the worker was "sent home," but William D. McKain, the district's assistant to the superintendent for finance and operations, has since clarified that "the worker went home voluntarily."
Paronychia causes swelling, redness and pain when bacteria enters the area between a finger or toe's skin and that finger or toe's nail.
Upon discovering the infection, "We (district officials) subsequently disinfected everything as a standard precaution with the students' health a priority," Korchnak said.
No other cases of infection related to the incident have been reported.