FORECAST: Weather Service Warns of Freezing Rain, Icy Roads
A winter weather advisory has been issued for our area.
Expect freezing rain and ice accumulations of about a tenth of an inch on Friday in the Pittsburgh area.
That's the word from the National Weather Service, which issued a winter weather advisory that is in effect on Friday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The freezing rain is expected to begin between 6 and 8 a.m. and end between 1 and 3 p.m.
The weather service warns of hazardous travel conditions because of ice-covered roads.
A winter weather advisory means that freezing rain will cause travel difficulties.
Here's a look at, roughly, the Baldwin-Whitehall forecast through Monday morning from the National Weather Service:
- Thursday Night—Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. North wind of 6 to 11 mph becoming east after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Little or no snow accumulation is expected.
- Friday—Freezing rain and sleet before 2 p.m., then rain or freezing rain likely between 2 and 4 p.m., then a chance of rain after 4. High near 34. Southeast wind of 8 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. Little or no snow accumulation is expected.
- Friday Night—A chance of rain or freezing rain before 11 p.m., then a slight chance of rain between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m., then a slight chance of rain and sleet after 4. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Southeast wind of around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch are possible.
- Saturday—A slight chance of rain and sleet before 7 a.m., then a slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. South wind of around 6 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
- Saturday Night—A slight chance of rain between 9 and 11 p.m., then a slight chance of snow after 11. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
- Sunday—A chance of snow before 11 a.m., then a chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Sunday Night—Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.
- Monday—Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.
This forecast, of course, is subject to change.
Should you take any weather-related photos, contribute to Patch by adding them to this article. Just click on one of the green "Upload Photos and Videos" buttons above!
And please tell us about troubled spots in the comments section below!
Sign up for the (free) daily Baldwin-Whitehall newsletter.