B-W Trivia: What Chapel Became What Church?
We will reveal the answers on Monday.
The Baldwin-Whitehall Patch has partnered with the Baldwin Historical Society to bring you a weekly trivia question that delves into our area's colorful past.
Pat Lombardi and Patty Woehler, co-presidents of the society, generously write the questions and provide the pictures.
Here is this week's question, er ... questions:
This picture is of a small chapel that eventually grew from its humble origins to become a large, well-known church in the Baldwin area.
In May 1923, a horse and plow excavated land for the chapel. Five months later, it was formally dedicated.
Silent movies were once shown in the basement of the church at an admission cost of 15 cents per person.
By 1931, with almost no support or money for the church, it went into "mission" status.
In February 1934, Jacob Hungerman was chosen as the church's pastor.
In that same year, many people in the area were left without work when the local mines were "played out." The miners' families left for other places, but services were still held at the church every Sunday.
Eventually, new developments and new residents began springing up around the church and its surrounding area, and Father Henry Immekus was appointed as the pastor in February 1937.
Through Immekus' strong perseverance and the support of parishioners, property for a new church was purchased, and ground was broken for that in 1942.
What was the name of the original chapel, and what is the name of the new church?
No multiple choice this week! Does anyone know the answer to either question? Both?!
Read other Baldwin-Whitehall Trivia Time questions here.
And find out more about the Baldwin Historical Society, which is always looking for new members to collect and research the history of the area, HERE!
Sign up for the daily Baldwin-Whitehall newsletter.